Monday, March 22, 2010

Mysore


















I just spent a fabulous 3 nights/4 days in Mysore! Mysore is an one of the most incredible cities in South India and has a population of just under one million people. It is well known for its bustling markets, monuments and friendly people. I agree! It is also a centre for the production of silk, sandalwood oil and incense. I stayed at the centrally located Parklane Hotel and it was a great place to not only stay but to eat at the restaurant. The food was absolutely delicious! The state of Kerala is well known for its vegetarian cuisine so I have been doing my share of this type of eating (okay I'll be honest, it has more to do with the state of how the cows and chickens are raised here than being in a vegetarian state!). I spent a whole day exploring the sites having Raymond, the rickshaw driver as my guide. I hired him for 8 hours and it cost about $5 to have him show me around. We started the day at Cafe Coffee Day, where I began all mornings, and then we explored places like Government House, the markets to see silk and cashmere shops, the Government Silk Factory, a sandalwood oil shop and of course, a ride up Chamundi Hill! Chamundi Hill stands 1062 metres above sea level and is located 13 km south of Mysore. The highlight of the drive up and down the hill was driving the rickshaw! Part way up the hill Raymond asked me if I would like to drive and of course, I'm always up for the challenge! I drove most of the way up but had to pull over near the top before we entered the area where the police hang out. I guess having a rickshaw license is important here. Also, once we passed the steep part on the way back down, Raymond let me take over again. I guess he wasn't totally confident as he didn't let me do the steep part. He actually stopped to show me an area of the cliff where all the rocks were knocked through. Apparently, a driver had gone over just the day before!! Only a broken arm however! I also spent the next couple of days visiting St. Philomena's Cathedral which was built between 1933 and 1941 in a neo-Gothic style. It was a beautiful Cathedral! Sorry Mom, but English mass was at 7:00 a.m. so I didn't make it! I also strolled through the markets and purchased smelly spices (sorry honey!), went to various museums and visited Mysore Palace. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me on Saturday evening when they lit up the whole palace for a half an hour. Magnificent! I would have loved to have a photo of this to show Lauren and Cameron! Anyway, a wonderful time in Mysore!

No comments:

Post a Comment