Thursday, April 8, 2010

Fort Cochin











I had a great 5 days at Fort Cochin! Although it was unbearably hot, I was quite comfortable staying with Beena and Sadu at Beena's Homestay. I actually stayed one night, then went inland to Thekkady for a week and then I returned to Beena's for another 4 nights! Upon my return, Beena said "Welcome home Gordon!". They are unbelievable people and they certainly did make me feel "home away from home". It cost 600 rupees ($7.50 Can) a day to stay here, and that includes a delicious breakfast and the most amazing dinner you can imagine! Take a look at the picture of one of the meals I enjoyed during my stay! Sadu is an amazing cook! Traders and explorers have been coming to Fort Cochin for over 600 years and you still get a feel for the history of the village from the ancient Chinese fishing nets that still remain, the ancient churches and the influence of the Portuguese architecture of the houses. I was there for Good Friday and was able to participate in part of the service even though I didn't understand a word that was being said! It was a very relaxing part of my stay in India. If you ever get the chance to come to Fort Cochin, I highly recommend that you stay at Beena's Homestay!

No comments:

Post a Comment